Re: Rawhide Kconfig changes late in the -rc cycle

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 12:15 PM Paul Moore <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Fedora Kernel People,
>
> The SELinux folks recently stumbled across some test failures due to a
> change in the Rawhide kernel config that happened this week while we
> are at -rc7 (see lore archive link below).  Now, to be clear, I think
> the Kconfig change is good, TIOCSTI is generally pretty scary, but in
> my opinion changing the kernel config at the -rc7 stage is also a bit
> scary :)  I don't know all the background on the Rawhide change, or if
> there is a policy for Rawhide Kconfig changes, but if it is possible I
> would suggest the in the future it might be advisable to restrict
> Kconfig changes past -rc5 (give or take) to only those which are
> critical changes.
>
> Test/CI failures this late in the kernel -rc cycle are always a little
> worrisome and it would be nice to know that we're not intentionally
> making it worse ;)
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/selinux/CAHC9VhRT0d-XWkw8uLGOmXsaQFpA4MMP6+sL5kfONbf-Mz8UJg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

... and of course as soon as I hit send on the previous email I see a
new test/CI run has completed with CONFIG_LEGACY_TIOCSTI back to being
set/y :)  Regardless, I'd still like to encourage restraint on Kconfig
changes late in the -rc cycle if possible.

--
paul-moore.com