Re: Fedora and 5.19

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 5:44 AM Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 11:35 AM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 8/2/22 22:15, Justin Forbes wrote:
> > > The initial fedora-5.19 branch has been created in kernel-ark. As I
> > > mentioned earlier, F37 will branch a 6.0 merge window kernel, but that
> > > will be replaced with 5.19 as soon as possible.
> >
> > I'm not sure when F37 branches of, but it would it not be better
> > to keep at F37 on 5.19 and move rawhide to 6.0 once F37 has its
> > own branch ?
> >
> > My main worry here is how you are going to get F37/rawhide consumers
> > to move back from 5.20 to 5.19. The only way I see to do this is
> > bump the epoch, which we generally try to avoid ?
>
> dnf distro-sync will also downgrade but I two have concerns.

I suppose I was rather counting on people to just do it by hand if
they were concerned. F37 branches next Tuesday, so it will still be in
the merge window.  I somewhat figured users that are willing to run
merge window kernels are probably a bit more capable of managing an
rpm downgrade if necessary.

> I wonder if not doing something similar to what we do when stabilising
> kernels would work, push 5.19 to that and build there while keeping
> rawhide branch as 5.20 rc and doing builds for it but not tagging it
> into the rawhide release until branching. There might need to be a
> special branch process there too. Messy for dev side but probably less
> messy for uses.

I suppose I could have them untagged with each build (yesterday's
failed as I need filter updates).  That does get a bit problematic
though, as it would likely subject those kernels to deletion after
some time, and make it harder for people using them for a "koji
bisect".  Not really sure the right answer there.

Justin