Re: gcc: error: unrecognized command-line option '-mharden-sls=all'

On 21.04.22 21:00, Justin Forbes wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 12:02 PM Sérgio Basto <sergio@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> SLS is not a strict arm thing, and upstream commit e463a09af2f06
>>> brought in the Straight Line Speculation mitigations for x86. Those
>>> are also enabled in 5.17 kernels as well.
>>>
>>> I assume you are running the rawhide-nodebug kernel on rawhide? If so,
>>> it should work, but it is entirely possible that the virtualbox
>>> drivers just do not build against the 5.18 development kernels yet.
>>> It would be best to ask them for support.  If you are trying to build
>>> against the rawhide-nodebug kernel on a stable Fedora release, that
>>> will not work. You would need to rebuild the kernel first..
>>
>> I'm using Fedora 34 , so you are saying that we need a higher gcc
>> version isn't it ?
>
> Actually, a newer compiler is not necessary. It would get you past
> this particular error, but you would just hit another error. The real
> issue is the compilter used to build the kernel must also be the
> compiler used to build the module.  If you really need to run 5.18
> kernels on Fedora 34, and need to build external modules for them, you
> will have to recompile the kernel yourself on an F34 host.

Shameless plug: or use 5.18 from my vanilla repos, as such problems are
the reason why I build kernel packages specifically for each of the
supported Fedora releases. The fc34 kernel-vanilla rpms thus were built
on fc34:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kernel_Vanilla_Repositories

CU, knurd