Re: generate config diffs when submitting config changes?

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 7:11 AM Prarit Bhargava <prarit@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/2/22 07:03, Dan Horák wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > would it be possible for the gitlab automation to generate diffs for the
> > "full" config files (kernel-$arch-*.config) when a MR is proposing
> > config changes (updates in redhat/config/*)? I think it would help
> > reviewing them, to see what are the effects of the proposed change(s) to
> > the generated config files.
> >

> Adding ptalbert & jarod.
>
> Y'know, I had this exact same thought a while ago.  It would be nice if
> we got a diff of the actual configs but I couldn't think of an easy way
> to do it.
>
> It would require the webhooks to know about the "base" kernel build.
>
> The webhooks would have to 'make dist-configs' in the base tree or rip
> the .configs from those rpms, and then compare them to the output of
> 'make dist-configs' from the MR tree.
>
> That seemed really complicated so I didn't bother suggesting it.
> Perhaps jarod or ptalbert may know of a better solution?

This can be problematic as oftentimes MRs with config changes show up
after other MRs with config changes have merged. The only meaningful
way to see exactly what the diff would be for a given MR would be to
check out the last commit before the new commits in the source branch,
generate configs and copy them off somewhere, and then checkout HEAD
again to generate the configs and diff them. It all has to be done on
the source branch though, because the destination branch may have
moved on considerably between the branching to create the MR and the
time that the MR is actually submitted.  I do agree that this would be
quite useful.

Justin