Re: Fedora kernel emails: too much or just right?

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022 14:24:22 -0500
Donald Zickus <dzickus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It has been awhile since we changed how this mailing list is used.  As
> folks have noticed, we have increased traffic significantly over the
> past couple of years to reflect the activity Red Hat developers are
> performing on the Fedora kernel.
>
> My question to this list is around the thoughts of this activity:
> * Is there too much noise?  Should we throttle back?
> * is the volume ok?  Folks have good filters?
> * Other suggestions on how we use this list?
>
> Trying to continue to make this mailing list useful.
>
> Thanks for any feedback!

I don't really have a dog in the fight, but I like reading the
subject lines to see what is coming down the pipe for the kernel.  The
thing that I find annoying about the messages is how succinct they are.
 If someone is involved with the change, they probably just need the
slight reminder.  But for everyone else it would be good to have a
little more flesh on the bones.  Even in the body of the message there
is no explanation of the purpose of the change other than the brief
note.

I see the same thing in rpm package descriptions (sometimes).  e.g.
the package description for libfoo says "this is a library for package
foo."  And in the kernel help messages during configuration (sometimes).
e.g. the latest 5.17 kernel has something called straight line
synchronization. But the description doesn't really explain what that
is.  I haven't got around to looking it up online yet.

Should you change?  Maybe not, maybe the time developers would spend
upgrading the messages just isn't worth the hit to their productivity
for the few consumers who aren't involved that read the messages.

Anyhow, I'm fine with the level of messages in the kernel list.