Re: aarch64 build failures in rawhide

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 2:42 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We want to use kernel rebuilds as a gating test for toolchain updates.
> Unfortunately, per
>
>   Information for package kernel
>   <https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8>
>
> the last successful rawhide kernel build was on 2021-04-28.
>
> The question is what we should do about build failures like this.
> Should we use non-rawhide kernels for our gating tests?
>
> (The bug appears to be in BTF generation: it is not valid to assume that
> static functions or variables are emitted under their declared names, or
> that they have any particular calling convention or data layout.  It's
> probably best to drop the static if symbols are used for BTF extraction.
> An alternative would be to use __attribute__ ((used)) instead, but then
> the linker won't check for name collisions, which would result in
> incorrect BTF.)

This long of an outage is rare, and the reasoning is because the fix is not
a kernel fix, it is in pahole.  Jiri is aware, and has been for some time,
but upstream was trying to agree on which fix to use last I saw.  Non
rawhide kernels are typically the safer bet, though there have been rare
cases where something needed to be added to the spec to make the kernel
build with a new toolchain (gcc 10), and that spec change was not
propagated down  as that toolchain was never intended for the existing
stable releases.  I think with the new ark workflow, it will not be a
problem.

Justin