Re: Erase i686 from the kernel package's repository?

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 12:07 PM Paul Bolle <pebolle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Paul Bolle schreef op ma 16-11-2020 om 23:32 [+0100]:
> > I tried to clone the ark repo some time ago. For some reason that took ages
> > and I aborted the operation. Maybe I'll try again one of these days and see
> > whether I could submit a patch to do this cleanup. OK with you?
>
> So I finally drafted a commit series that does this. These (lame) commit
> summaries show my approach (order reversed):
>     configs: there's only x86_64
>     configs: remove everything i686 related
>     scripts: remove i686 from a comment
>     remove filter-i686.sh.*
>     un-i686 kernel.spec.template
>
> I'm pretty sure the first attempt or two will blow up (especially on the rhel
> side). And any changes to x86-config changes in HEAD will derail my series.

The only thing that RHEL builds i686 at all is kernel-headers and
kernel-cross headers.  Those likely need to remain for 32bit userspace
packages. For Fedora, kernel-headers is a separate package. I haven't
seen your patches, but it seems the first step would be to remove
anything that builds/verifies the i686 configs, this can include the
i686 config directories (but don't move x86_64 up to x86).  I might
also remove filter-i686* and stop it from being called as well.   Once
nothing is using those configs, we can look at rearranging x86/x86_64
to just be a single x86 directory in a separate change.  Doing it this
way should make it a bit easier to get that patch through quickly
without too much churn.  It can also be better arranged around the
merge window, which is when config options change the most.

> So what is the preferred way to push a disruptive series like this onto the
> virtual gremlins that run kernel-ark's CI for us?

As I think kernel-headers and kernel-cross-headers are the only i686
things built now, and those probably need to continue, I don't think
CI will be an issue.

Justin