Re: Dealing with i915 graphics issues reported by multipe people in kernel >= 5.10.9

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 5:44 AM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2/23/21 6:25 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been working with various reporters to try and get the sometimes severe
> > gfx glitches which people are seeing with kernel >= 5.10.9 resolved, see the
> > following bugs:
> >
> >    1843274 - i915 GPU Hang with kernel 5.7 on Haswell (Acer C720P Chromebook)
> >    1925346 - Screen glitches after updating to Kernel 5.10.10
> >    1925903 - Flickering UI elements, screen instability (Wayland)
> >    1931065 - Frequent i915 hangs
> >
> > I've written 2 patches 2 address this and asked users to test Fedora-kernel
> > scratch-builds with those patches added.
> >
> > The first patch is i915-revert.patch, this reverts 3 troublesome commits
> > which were first added in 5.10.9 these commit change the i915 mitigations
> > for a year old i915 CVE which IIRC was mostly about data leaking from a
> > previous GPU context to the next. These patches enable these mitigations
> > on more GPU models, where they were previously disabled because they were
> > causing issues...
> >
> > Reporters have reported a 100% success-rate in getting rid of the gfx
> > issues with these 3 reverts.
> >
> > The second patch is i915-fixes.patch, this cherry-picks 3 patches from
> > for most users, but some users still report some rendering artifacts
> > (but overall things are much better).
> >
> > Upstream has gone silent on the issue of there still being rendering
> > artifacts with the 3 cherry-picked fixes unfortunately.
> >
> > Given that we are getting more and more bug-reports about this I think
> > that we should be do something about this downstream. Upstream seams
> > to be aiming for fixing things, rather then reverting, so going with
> > i915-fixes.patch will stay the closest to what I expect to land in
> > 5.10.y and 5.11.y at some point.
>
> The bug reports for this keep coming in; and it seems that this is
> fully resolved for all reporters except one by the i915-fixes.patch which
> I attached earlier; and for the one reporter who is still seeing some
> rendering glitches things are much improved, so I think he is also
> hitting a different issue.
>
> Here is the full lists of bugs which I'm aware of which all have this
> as root cause:
>
>    1843274 - i915 GPU Hang with kernel 5.7 on Haswell (Acer C720P Chromebook)
>    1922511 - Recent upgrades caused smearing/tearing
>    1925346 - Screen glitches after updating to Kernel 5.10.10
>    1925903 - Flickering UI elements, screen instability (Wayland)
>    1931065 - Frequent i915 hangs
>    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/3099
>
> So unless there are any objections I would really like to move forward
> with adding i915-fixes.patch to the Fedora 5.10.y kernels.

The actual patch was not attached, so I could not add it, you are
welcome to do so, or attach the patch and I will do it.  Note 5.10
kernels are managed in dist-git right now and follow the regular
process. 5.11 kernels are in the kernel-ark tree in the fedora-5.11
branch, I can handle an MR against this.

Justin