Re: Dealing with i915 graphics issues reported by multipe people in kernel >= 5.10.9

Hi,

On 2/24/21 6:32 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 23.02.21 18:25, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>
>> I've been working with various reporters to try and get the sometimes severe
>> gfx glitches which people are seeing with kernel >= 5.10.9 resolved, see the
>> following bugs:
>>
>>     1843274 - i915 GPU Hang with kernel 5.7 on Haswell (Acer C720P Chromebook)
>>     1925346 - Screen glitches after updating to Kernel 5.10.10
>>     1925903 - Flickering UI elements, screen instability (Wayland)
>>     1931065 - Frequent i915 hangs
>>
>> I've written 2 patches 2 address this and asked users to test Fedora-kernel
>> scratch-builds with those patches added.
>
> Thx for working on this, I have a friend that is affected by this.
>
>> […]
>
>> Reporters have reported a 100% success-rate in getting rid of the gfx
>> issues with these 3 reverts.
>> […] Upstream has gone silent on the issue of there still being rendering > artifacts with the 3 cherry-picked fixes unfortunately.
>>
>> Given that we are getting more and more bug-reports about this I think
>> that we should be do something about this downstream. Upstream seams
>> to be aiming for fixing things, rather then reverting, so going with
>> i915-fixes.patch will stay the closest to what I expect to land in
>> 5.10.y and 5.11.y at some point.
>
> Out of curiosity: Upstream means "the drm/i915 folks here"?

Yes.

> What about GregKH? Is he aware of this?

Yes, Greg is aware of this (I Cc-ed him on my initial bug report to the i915 folks and he has replied in the upstream thread about this)

> He's not Linus, but he hates regressions nearly as much afaics, so why not maybe he is willing to revert those patches quickly and thus maybe force the drm/i915 folks into action?

The i915 folks have acted on this, hence the patch with 3 cherry-picked fixes from -next. This patch seems to work well for most reporters, there is a single reporter who is still seeing issues with the 3 cherry-picked fixes.

I plan to ping Greg about merging the 3 fixes from -next, assuming that they have landed in Linus' tree by now
(I have not pinged Greg yet, because first I need to check that the 3 fixes have indeed landed).

Regards,

Hans