Re: Adding a patch to the Fedora kernels for F34 and later only ?

Hi,

On 2/5/21 6:05 PM, Justin Forbes wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 2:28 PM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> With new kernel-ark flow, it is not entirely clear to me how to do $subject ?
>>
>> In the past I would just add the patch to dist-git with a comment that it is only for F34+,
>> but with ARK the dist-git content seems to be more or less auto-generated from kernel-ark.git.
>>
>> I need to add a small patch to the Fedora kernels for:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Changes/SofDefaultForIntelLpe
>>
>> The default driver is selected based on the order of a couple of entries in an
>> array, so I need to swap that order. I can either just hardcode the order, or
>> I can add a Kconfig for this, if having different Kconfig settings is easier
>> between releases, so 2 questions:
>>
>> 1. Should the patch just hardcode the new order or is a Kconfig option
>> preferred (for the Fedora kernel workflow).
>
> What is the upstream direction here? Will there be a config item to
> set the default?  We should absolutely be making sure that we are
> following that direction.

I don't know, since upstream has not switched the default yet.

I think that having a Kconfig item will make sense for the intermediate period
where both drivers will be supported.

So I'll write a patch implementing the Kconfig option and submit that
upstream. Then once I've some feedback on that I'll submit a merge-req
for kernel-ark.

>> 2. How do I get a patch *or* a Kconfig option added/set to/for the Fedora
>> kernels with the patch/option only being applied to F34+ kernel builds ?
>
> Submit the patch for ark just like you typically would. Historically
> in rawhide, we had a file called "rebase-notes.txt"  That kind of got
> dropped with the ark workflow as we haven't had to use it in several
> releases, but I would recommend creating redhat/rebase-notes.txt and
> just adding a line with what needs to be changed or dropped for Fedora
> 33 and older.  I will check it before I rebase back.

Ok, I'll add a redhat/rebase-notes.txt to the merge-req.

Regards,

Hans