Enabling CONFIG_ACPI_TABLE_UPGRADE in Fedora kernels

Hi All,

I believe $subject has been discussed before but I would like to see us
reconsider this.

I know that the general rule of thumb is that DSDTs should not be overriden
and instead the kernel should be made to "just work" with existing DSDTs
even if they are buggy. And as someone who does a lot of ACPI related
bug-fixing in the upstream kernel, I completely agree.

IIRC this was the main argument against enabling CONFIG_ACPI_TABLE_UPGRADE,
but even with it enabled actually using this is far from easy, so I'm
NOT worried that this will cause uses to do DSDT overrides to paper over
bugs which we really should fix otherwise.

But sometimes being able to override the DSDT is still useful:

1. When I'm helping users to get various hardware issues fixed sometimes
it is useful to given them a DSDT override changing e.g. the bus-speed
for an I2C bus, or changing the type of an IRQ from level to edge, etc.

2. Unfortunately there is a small number of DSDT bugs which the kernel
simply cannot be fixed to handle. I know at least 2 examples of this:

Example a. The Onda v975w ACPI battery code has a bug where the
full capacity always reports 0. This is a very straight forward error
in the DSDT, not a case of using some wiggle room in the ACPI spec
(expecting certain behavior which only Windows shows). This is
simply a DSDT bug. The code might just a well say "return 0"

Example b. The Acer Switch sw5-012 is completely missing the ACPI
Device (PWM0) section declaring the PWM controller which is used
for controlling the backlight of the LCD. This leads to non working
brightness control and also to much to high energy drain while
suspended.

For both these cases having CONFIG_ACPI_TABLE_UPGRADE=y would be
very helpful. The only downside would be that this is not compatible
with secureboot. So if not done upstream already then we must tie
this to the kernel-lockdown stuff and disallow it when lockdown mode
is active. I can try to write a patch for this if necessary.

Regards,

Hans