Re: Is it acceptable to package non-bootable kernels?

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 11:33:21AM +0100, Jiri Benc wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 10:50:53 +0100, Sergio Lopez wrote:
> > Let me clear here, there's absolutely no intention of keeping things
> > downstream, but there may be changes that won't be accepted upstream
> > because they only make sense for this particular use case.
>
> If they are not accepted upstream, it's for a reason and you need to
> address the reason. I very much doubt the reason for non-acceptance
> would be "we don't care about your use case". It may be "please make it
> more generic, so others will profit from it, too". Or "please do all of
> this differently". Which you should do instead of keeping your own
> patches.
>
> There's no such thing as "we're special, thus we need own kernel
> patches". You're not special and you don't need them. Even Android
> finally got it.
>
> > We're not "playing a catch up game". Porting the changes to 5.10 [1]
> > took less than one hour, because the changes are small and reasonably
> > isolated (it'll be even more isolated once we reimplement the
> > Transparent Socket Impersonation part as an independent address
> > family).
>
> "Transparent Socket Impersonation"? Oh. I don't see any such patches on
> the netdev mailing list. You'll have to start there, as it's very
> well possible you'll have some redesign to do. It's hard to get a
> kernel network feature right on the first attempt, the network stack is
> very focused on performance and maintainability.
>
> For your next project, I suggest to start working with upstream
> communities from the very beginning. Developing whole infrastructure
> behind closed doors and then throwing the result at the communities is
> not a viable approach. Many have tried that before you, only to find out
> that upstreaming such solution takes more time than it took to develop
> it, rewriting pretty much everything along the way.
>
> My advice to you is instead of "reimplement[ing] the Transparent Socket
> Impersonation part as an independent address family", reach out to
> netdev right away. Explain what you're trying to do and add a pointer
> to the current patches you have (or send them out as RFC directly if
> they're reasonably small). It will save you tons of time in the end.
>
> > As I wrote in the original email, in addition of the downstream
> > patches, the kernel is bundled in a different binary format so it can
> > be directly injected into a KVM memory region.
>
> That's something that you'll need to first solve upstream in the kernel
> and KVM communities.
>
> > Security issues in the bundled kernel can't have an impact on the host
> > and it's _very_ unlikely the would have it on isolated application, as
> > is operating within the security boundary of the VMM/VM, and the
> > latter under the security context of the original application (in
> > fact, a stricter context with a better seccomp profile).
>
> I don't think that downplaying security issues is a good approach.
>
>  Jiri

Thanks for all the (unsolicited) advice. Deeply appreciated.

If possible, I would like to go back to my original question, so we
can both go back to more fruitful matters.

Is it acceptable to package non-bootable kernels in Fedora?

Thanks,
Sergio.