Re: Backport ExFAT to Fedora 5.6 kernels?

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 9:46 AM Jeremy Cline <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2020-04-05 at 19:29 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 6:00 PM Joel Wirāmu Pauling <jwp@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > Far more interested to make sure the AX200 wifi fixes land. I have
> > > two FC32 machines that suffer.
> > >

> > That should probably be fixed with the 5.6.2 kernel landing, right?
> > As
> > far as I know, that's already fixed in the 5.6 tree. The availability
> > of exfat in Fedora 32 GA would open quite a few doors for cameras and
> > other equipment where media cards using exfat are quite common.
> >

> Well, support will arrive in updates with the 5.7 rebase. It would be
> nice to have, but the freeze is tomorrow, we try to keep feature
> backports to a minimum, and no one has actually done the work yet.
>
> All that to say I'm not sure this is the best way to invest our time.

To add to this, it isn't even something that has been in Rawhide for a
few weeks and had any testing. It literally came in over the weekend.
The first build with this driver will happen today.  I understand that
it is an interesting feature from a user perspective, but if anything,
we should be conservative with filesystems.   Yes, Samsung has been
shipping it for quite some time with their phones, but that is not
quite the same use cases Fedora will see. I don't feel comfortable
trying to rush this for the Fedora 32 release.

Justin