Re: Upcoming Fedora kernel workflow changes

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 5:22 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 12:41 PM Jeremy Cline <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > This should come as no surprise to those who have been following the
> > kernel list and/or saw Laura's Flock talk last summer, but there are
> > some changes to the way the Fedora kernel is maintained coming in the
> > next couple of weeks.
> >
> > For those folks who aren't committing directly to the kernel dist-git,
> > this change won't really impact you, although contributing might be
> > easier.
> >
> > We're planning to switch from maintaining the kernel directly in the
> > dist-git to using a kernel source tree along with a set of scripts to
> > turn the source tree into something that can be automatically checked
> > into the dist-git. This means anything committed directly to the dist-
> > git repository will get overwritten on the next update.
> >

> I don't think that's actually acceptable under Fedora guidelines, as
> that violates the canonicity rule on the sources and spec[1].
>
> Have you already worked out how to deal with that yet?
>
> [1]:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_spec_maintenance_and_canonicity
>
> While in theory, this could be an issue, in practice it is very much not.
The kernel doesn't get hit with most of those automated bumps and scripted
changes due to the fact that we build pretty much daily to begin with. And
we pay pretty close attention to everything committed, so someone commiting
to the dist-git would get a reply and a pointer to the current workflow
before their changes were overwritten.

Justin