Re: Building custom kernel using rpmbuild method fails with config conflicts between kernel-local and x86_64.config

On 11/25/19 11:02 AM, stan wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 08:15:46 -0500
Laura Abbott <labbott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The process_configs.sh checks are designed to catch values changing
unexpecedtly the message

override: PSTORE_LZ4HC_COMPRESS_DEFAULT changes choice state

This indicates that some value set are now changed. This looks like
process_configs doing its job and not an actual error. It's also a
little hard to tell without seeing the full build log and what
changes you are actually making. I see two options:

Then this makes the kernel-local obsolete, because the point of having
a kernel-local file is to change config options from the default state.

I'm making extensive changes to the config file to customize it for my
system exclusively.  File systems I don't use are gone.  Graphics
devices I don't use are gone.  Ditto audio devices.  Ditto network
cards.  etc.

When I use the custom config file with make oldconfig, there are no
complaints.

I notice that this is a warning rather than an actual error, even
though the configcheck is treating it as an error.  Could configcheck
be changed to allow warnings to pass?  Is there already a switch I can
pass to configcheck that does so?

Your changes to kernel-local should still be going through when
you build, if not that is absolutely a bug that needs to get fixed.
The message "override" is coming from the kernel tree not the
Fedora kernel tree

What process_configs.sh is doing is checking to make sure all of
the settings you have given will not get changed. Kconfig will silently
switch the settings of options if you set things incorrectly, (switching
from =y to =m or just turning options off completely) which can
be confusing. The goal of these checks is to be pedantic and make
sure all the values are set to what you expect. We actually want
to treat all warnings as errors because even if Kconfig thinks this
is a warning, the actual issue is that CONFIG_PSTORE_LZ4HC_COMPRESS_DEFAULT
may not be what you expect.

1) Update the set of options you are setting to set all appropriate
dependencies

I tried this by setting various values in both kernel-local and in the
rpmbuild/SOURCES/kernel*.config file.  No dice.  Next kernel I build,
I'll do it in make menuconfig to see if it makes a difference.

2) Turn off the checking by building --without configchecks

It looks like this is what I'll have to do, though I don't like
bypassing consistency checks.  Heh, my kernels have been building and
running fine for years without this, so maybe it's OK.  :-)

If the options you've been using are working, it's probably fine
to turn the checks.