Re: How to properly PATCH F30 kernel to resolve GPU PASSTHROUGH Header Error Code 127

On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 22:13:59 -0000
"Kot Begemot" <kbdeamon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "I think if you use the akmod packages from rpmfusion, they will
> build the driver module at boot if it isn't there"
>     A bit lost here, would the rpm-fusion install and akmod install
> occur before or after the custom kernel compile?. . .

Before.  If you have run a production kernel, and are custom compiling
that production kernel, you will probably already have the akmod
installed. It would build the nvidia kernel module for your custom
kernel the first time you boot your custom kernel.  Asking on the
rpmfusion users list is your best bet for clarification.

> "It might be possible to use the binary blob right from nvidia, but
> you would have to take care of all updating outside the package
> system."
>
>     So if I go this route then I have to first compile the kernel
> with nouveau and then install NVIDIA?

If there is a binary blob, I think you would have to set it up before
you boot your new kernel, so it is ready when the kernel boots.  It's
been so long since I used an nvidia card, and I always used rpmfusion
(or nouveau), so I'm not sure.  Best go to the nvidia site and read
their instructions for linux.

> In both of these instance, since the kernel.spec file controls what
> happens, is there a way to somehow generate or copy the kernel.spec
> file from the running kernel?  I tried to find the kernel.spec file
> else where in the system but came up empty.  I also see your answer
> below that refers to make localmodconfig . . . would this be the way
> to go?

What you are looking for is the configuration options for the kernel,
 and they are under /boot in the files starting with config. I would
 say to go with localmodconfig, but you seem to be unfamiliar with this
 whole process, so I think you should wait a while, till you understand
 what you are doing better.  It won't hurt anything, you'll just build
 a larger kernel than necessary.  It's a good idea to have a look
 through the Documentation directory in the BUILD source before going
 there.

> One more thing, when I screw up the process and install a broken
> kernel by mistake is there anyway to remove it?  I did dnf remove and
> regenerated the grub2-efi.cfg and ran dracut but I still see it in
> the boot menu.

Run
grub2-mkconfig -o grub.cfg
in /boot/efi/EFI/fedora to fix that.

If the kernel is gone, you could also manually edit the grub.cfg file
to remove it.