Re: Simple Firmware Interface being deprecated

Hi,

On 27-08-19 09:14, Peter Robinson wrote:
On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 9:27 PM Laura Abbott <labbott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20190826181956.6918-1-lukas.bulwahn@xxxxxxxxx/

menuconfig SFI
          bool "SFI (Simple Firmware Interface) Support"
          ---help---
          The Simple Firmware Interface (SFI) provides a lightweight method
          for platform firmware to pass information to the operating system
          via static tables in memory.  Kernel SFI support is required to
          boot on SFI-only platforms.  Currently, all SFI-only platforms are
          based on the 2nd generation Intel Atom processor platform,
          code-named Moorestown.

          For more information, see http://simplefirmware.org

          Say 'Y' here to enable the kernel to boot on SFI-only platforms.

I have no idea how common this is but Fedora does enable this option.
If you are interested in salvaging this, please speak up!

Grepping config and the kernel it seems Moorestown is the Intel MID
platform and we explicitly disable X86_INTEL_MID so I'm not sure it's
a problem.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is just for the Intel X86 "phone" SoCs which
never went anywhere. As you know I've spend a lot of (spare) time on
improving support for Intel Atom based hw (mainly Bay Trail and Cherry
Trail tablets) and even I don't care for the phone chips, for one exactly
because of SFI, instead of coming with EFI these phones come with some
frankenstein firmware AFAIK, I never even bothered getting one to try
and make it boot mainline ...

TL;DR: I do not think this will missed, actually I think it should be
fine to disable it in the Fedora kernels right away. I've just disabled
it for the builds which I do from my personal kernel tree. It does not
seem to affect any other Kconfig options.

Regards,

Hans