Re: Which I/O scheduler is Fedora switching to in 4.21? mq-deadline or BFQ?

> Il giorno 5 mar 2019, alle ore 17:18, stan <upaitag@xxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 14:07:15 +0000
> Alan Jenkins <alan.christopher.jenkins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 13/12/2018, Laura Abbott <labbott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for starting this discussion. Based on this thread and
>>> other discussions, I'm going to see about enabling BFQ for
>>> 4.21. Once 4.21-rc1 comes out (i.e. almost all configs should
>>> be in) we can review the settings and see if anything needs
>>> to be adjusted. If I get some time before then (i.e. before
>>> I leave for holiday) I'll see if I can change the defaults.
>>>
>>> Laura
>>
>> Are there any more up-to-date details on this? Specifically I am
>> wondering if there will be any separate package providing udev rules,
>> that people should be aware of, if they want to provide testing of 5.0
>> kernels for Fedora.
>
> I've been using the 5.0 kernels locally compiled and optimized for my
> hardware with bfq enabled.  I don't have multi thread hardware.  The
> performance has been comparable to cfq, or slightly worse.
> Subjective.

I started testing 5.0 today too, with incredibly bad performance, on
an old Intel Core i7-2760QM@2.40GHz.  I found out the bottleneck to be
the CPU (about 7x slowdown).  After reporting this issue to some Linaro
guys (in CC), I've been suggested a tiresome bisection w.r.t. 4.20
(4.20 which works with no issue).  I hope someone will show up with
the cause of the problem, relieving me of this burden :)

At any rate, let me take this opportunity for updating you guys on
what happened in the last months.

First, server-side, I discovered that the techniques used to guarantee
I/O bandwidth to clients, containers and virtual machines easily
result in throughput losses of up to 90%!  So I improved BFQ so as to
make it an alternative solution that brings this loss down to just
10%.  Full details in this very recent (today :) ) short article:
http://ow.ly/vsrW50mBAGl

Second, PC-side, I've pushed new commits for the dev version of BFQ
(I'll submit these commits for the production version, probably
tomorrow; so they'll probably be all available from 5.2).  These
commits provide the following, measurable performance boost:
- up to ~80% faster application start-up times in the presence of
  background workloads
- ~150% throughput boost in one of the nastiest workloads for BFQ the
  one generated by dbench.  The throughput is finally on pr with any
  other I/O scheduler, and most likely equal to the maximum possible
  throughput reachable with this test
- elimination of the 18% loss of throughput occurring with only
  random reads, w.r.t.  to none as I/O scheduler; there is no loss any
  more;

For any question, I'll be glad to answer, if I can,
Paolo