Re: Which I/O scheduler is Fedora switching to in 4.21? mq-deadline or BFQ?

> Il giorno 13 dic 2018, alle ore 17:17, stan <stanl-fedorauser@xxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 13:42:24 +0100
> Paolo Valente <paolo.valente@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> To test the behavior of your system, why don't you check, e.g., how
>> long it takes to start an application while there is some background
>> I/O?
>>
>> A super quick way to do this is
>>
>> git clone https://github.com/Algodev-github/S
>> cd S/comm_startup_lat
>> sudo ./comm_startup_lat.sh <scheduler-you-want-to-test> 5 5 seq 3
>> "replay-startup-io gnometerm"
>>
>> The last command line
>> - starts the reading of 5 files plus the writing of 5 other files
>> - replays, for three times, the I/O that gnome terminal does while;
>>  starting up (if you want I can tell you how to change the last
>> command line so as to execute the original application, but you would
>> get the same results);
>> - for each attempt, measures how long this start-up I/O takes to
>>  complete.
>
> Thanks for this.  I suspect I wasn't really stressing my system when I
> was evaluating it, and it was subjective.  I'm running a kernel with cfq
> right now, but I will boot the noop kernel when I get a chance and test
> it.  I suppose I could just switch to noop io scheduling instead.
> Should be interesting.

Consider that noop means legacy block too.  From 4.21, the equivalent
of noop will be none, in blk-mq.

At any rate, you can do these tests with cfq too. Results may surprise you ...

And, if results will feel like just numbers to you, I'll tell you how
to change the command line for starting real applications.

Thanks,
Paolo