Re: Which I/O scheduler is Fedora switching to in 4.21? mq-deadline or BFQ?

> Il giorno 12 dic 2018, alle ore 20:30, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>
> Really Readding devel@ this time...
>
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 11:08 AM stan <stanl-fedorauser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 11:48:29 -0000
>> "Alan Jenkins" <alan.christopher.jenkins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> [3] BFQ:
>>> http://algo.ing.unimo.it/people/paolo/disk_sched/description.php
>>>
>>> [4]
>>> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/375600/how-to-enable-and-use-the-bfq-scheduler
>>>
>>> [5] "I'd prefer if the distros would lead the way on this, as theyare
>>> the ones that will most likely see the most bug reports" - Jens
>>> Axboe, https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-block/msg31062.html
>>
>> I compiled a custom kernel from the fedora src.rpm for 4.19.8.  I turned
>> off all schedulers except NOOP and BFQ.  But there was no way in the
>> configuration process (make menuconfig) to set BFQ as default.  I tried
>> setting it in kernel-local, but the build process errored because it
>> said NOOP is the default and that disagreed with my choice.  I'm
>> running the kernel and it is using noop.  And there is no way to change
>> it in the /sys hierarchy.
>>
>> So, how do I get a fedora kernel to run BFQ?
>
> Short version:
> Yep, so far in 4.20 there is neither a CONFIG_DEFAULT_BFQ or
> CONFIG_DEFAULT_IOSCHED="bfq" near as I can tell. Maybe it's different
> for 4.21.

Yep, hundreds of kilobytes of email have been spent trying to convince
Jens Axboe that a default option had to be kept for blk-mq too.  At no
avail.  If anyone wants to restart this fight, I'll be on your side.

> I used two boot params: scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=1

Yes, this is needed to switch to blk-mq, until 4.21, when there will
be no legacy block any longer.  One can also set the corresponding
option in the kernel configuration.

> elevator=bfq.

I'm not sure this option works with blkmq.  IIRC doing this may even
cause system failures with blk-mq (but maybe this has been fixed).
AFAIK, the only way is to set bfq manually or through, e.g., dev
rules, but YMMV.

> I don't
> think that's a good way for a distribution to set the default though.
>
> Icky version:
>
> I set the following in /etc/default/grub and then ran grub2-mkconfig
> (not on Rawhide!)
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=1 elevator=bfq zswap.enabled=1
> zswap.max_pool_percent=25 zswap.compressor=lz4"
>
> I also created  /etc/dracut.conf.d/bfq.conf containing:
> add_drivers+=" bfq "
> yes, with spaces, and rebuilt the initramfs
>
> But upon reboot, total implosion. Piles of USB errors and disconnects
> (the boot device is a Samsung FIT USB stick which fits flush in an
> Intel NUC). I didn't have time to troubleshoot what's causing this
> problem, other than to plug the USB stick into another computer to
> verify the stick is good and hasn't been corrupted. It's possibly
> related the mq-blk bug in 4.19.0 through 4.19.7 - so I've since
> upgraded to 4.19.8 which as those patches, but I haven't had a chance
> to retest.

I doubt this is bfq fault, as bfq is rather frequently used for USB
too. Probably bfq has not been activated at all.

Paolo