Re: src.rpm for latest kernel in koji fails to build with weird errors about config mismatches

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 10:28:28 -0700
Laura Abbott <labbott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it's that last 'make oldconfig' step which is screwing
> things up and shouldn't be necessary. The checks that are failing are
> designed to catch differences between what fedora has set in the
> kernel- fragments and what gets generated after a "make oldconfig".
> I don't know why copying back again wouldn't work but the script is
> not perfect and I generally tell people to turn off the checks if
> they are building with local changes anyway.
>
> Is there a reason you need to do the last "make oldconfig" and
> copy step? You are duplicating what the kernel build process
> will do with the configs anyway.

Yeah, I use a custom config tuned to my hardware.  I run it to make
sure that any new configuration options are presented to me so I can
set them before the build.  Usually I take the defaults, but not
always.  Hmmm, your answer sort of makes sense, though the configuration
file should only be for x86_64, why is it setting all those other
arches?  I put at the top x86_64, and the configuration files for the
new build come directly from the tar.gz file.  rpmbuild tells me it is
building a kernel for x86_64, not any other arch.  I used to run a make
menuconfig after the oldconfig, and then save the config from there.
But when the changes in 4.18 stopped, I stopped doing that. Would that
make a difference?  What's puzzling is that this whole process worked
for the kernel on 7/15, no problem whatsoever.

If I just wanted to build the Fedora kernel the way that Fedora does, I
would use the koji binaries.  No point in wasting the time and energy
to do that.  But there are *lots* of options and modules that I don't
need, and the kernel is much smaller, which I think has advantages.

I'll also look at harald's procedure to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.