Re: Adding virtualbox guest driver to Fedora kernels (revisited)

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Good news, the vboxguest driver has been queued for
> upstream merging in char-misc-next. This just happened
> so I want to wait for a couple of days to make sure
> they stick and they do not get reverted for some reason.

Nice job!  That's been needed a long time and I'm really happy to see
your success in getting them upstream.

> Then I would like to add them as downstream patches
> to the rawhide kernels for now, they can be dropped
> once we rebase to 4.16.
>
> So as always when making non trivial changes, my
> question to the Fedora kernel team is, is adding
> these as downstream patches ok?

I have no strong opinion, but I'm curious why we wouldn't just wait
for 4.16.  That seems like a natural sync point so that everyone that
provides this driver as a kmod simply stops when the first 4.16 merge
window kernel lands.  Adding them now means more coordination for
users and kmod builders and I wonder if that will cause confusion.

josh