Re: Updating config option layout and scripts

On 2017-12-06 9:17 AM, Don Zickus wrote:
On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 05:34:18AM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:42 PM, Laura Abbott <labbott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/10/2017 11:48 AM, Don Zickus wrote:

Hi Laura,

As per our conversation, here is my pull request for the config changes:
https://pagure.io/fedora-kernel-dzickus.git rh_sync

As part of an effort to foster better cross collaboration with internal
Red
Hat kernels, align the configs layout to match that kernel.  This will
allow
Red Hat engineers to provide easier guidance on how to set various config
options.

In addition, the scripts that process the config options will migrate to
the
configs/ directory too.  Future config workflows will stage all work in
the
configs/ area.

A simple diff between the kernels will easily expose which config options
are different.  Reading the comments in the file provides guidance to
Fedora
to determine if that kernel should make a similar change or not.  While
the
RH kernel stays internal, requested changes will be posted publicly for
review with said reason.

Rename debugconfig -> configs/base-debug
Rename baseconfig -> configs/base-generic

Any chance we could drop the base- in those names and just have
configs/debug/
configs/generic

The base- is somewhat superfluous and is annoying for auto complete ;-)

It is, but was specifically added so kernels that want to do overrides like
RHEL could add their own custom configs/debug and configs/generic.

I am open to name changes but the goal was to use Fedora configs as a base
and then allow the ability to override through other directories.

So if you have a proposal to allow that, I am open to it. :-)

Why not configs/fedora/{generic,debug} and then we tack on a configs/rhel/{generic,debug} when forking for the next RHEL kernel? Trying to keep them from polluting each other with specific names?

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@xxxxxxxxxx