Re: RFC: Moving kernel-tools out of kernel.spec

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:16 AM, Prarit Bhargava <prarit@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/29/2017 10:07 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:

>>> IIUC this means if I have a patch that touches tools/power/turbostat and
>>> drivers/idle/intel_idle.c I now have to open up two bugzillas to track things so
>>> that the kernel and kernel tools is synchronized?
>>
>> No?  Why would you need two bugs?
>
> For example, the kernel package is built every night.  And the kernel-tools
> package is now built randomly (if it is automatically built when the kernel
> package is built then there's no problem).
>
> I apply a patch that (in my example above) patches both tools/power/turbostat
> and drivers/idle/intel_idle.c I need *both* packages to be built.  If
> kernel-tools and the kernel packages are out-of-sync with one another then
> there's going to be a problem.

What does that have to do with bugs?  Nothing.  This is Fedora.  You
file a single bug, you point out the need to update two SRPMs with it.
And that's IF you file a bug at all :)  Let's not confuse the need to
coordinate with bug reporting.

Also, your example seems somewhat contrived.  If you patch the driver
but don't patch the tool, what happens?  Likely not much, otherwise
people would report broken tools all the time, right?

>>> There are times where tools/power require changes to real kernel code and the
>>> userspace tools.  While this is happening less frequently, it has happened in
>>> the past and it could happen in the future.  Anyone on the virt side of things
>>> want to comment?  ISTR having a conversation with someone about versions of
>>> tools/hv requiring *specific* kernel versions (I'm foggy on the details).
>>
>> None of the existing kernel-tools packages have any sort of Requires
>> on specific kernel versions.  If that is actually a problem, they
>> could be added but it doesn't appear to actually be an issue today...
>>

> I've hit this situation a few times with RHEL, where someone updated the kernel
> rpm but not the kernel-tools rpm.  It probably happens more often at the server
> level because of the tools usage.  It has never taken more than a "Please update
> your kernel-tools package" to get the reporter to fix the problem.

OK.  I'm not sure we've seen that in Fedora in... forever.  It would
be interesting to understand why there is the difference.

josh