Re: Reviving the hardware census

> The more I look at lshw, the more I'm ambivalent (I'm not against it,
> just not for it either). It certainly collects a lot of relevant
> information. However, I see the following problems.
>
> 1. lshw tries to make things human readable. This is bad for
> databases. We want to record things like immutable numeric hardware
> IDs rather than the current contents of pci.ids. lshw does provide
> -numeric, but this just adds the numbers to the human readable
> strings.

That seems like it would be a good improvement for upstream.

> 2. lshw collects a lot of data we may not be interested in. For
> example, it reports the four different kinds of floppy disk drives my
> BIOS supports. Also, L1, L2 and L3 cache. There is a bunch of stuff
> like this. Is it useful? Some of it definitely is. But transferring
> unwanted data over the wire is not being a good netizen. Also, some
> people pay for data per MB transferred. We should be respectful.
>
> 3. lshw supports '-sanitize', but this merely replaces the values with
> '[REMOVED]'. See above for why we don't want to transmit this data.
>
> 4. lshw reports bus configuration. I'm not sure if this is relevant or
> how we would want to map this data. For example, if Dell uses the same
> hardware in a bunch of laptops then we can deduplicate this to one
> "hardware profile." But if bus configuration is part of this profile,
> then we will have much higher cardinality. If this information is
> important to have, we can make it work. But if not, it would be better
> to try to save storage.

These three issues seem easily solvable by some client-side filtering
before sending it to the server.

> 5. lshw doesn't seem to have a way to separate "system hardware" from
> "transient hardware." To be fair, this may be impossible. But it would
> be nice to understand the difference between, say, my bluetooth radio
> and my YubiKey. I can't easily remove the former but I can the latter.
> This also goes to cardinality reduction.

That does sound nice and I don't know whether or not it is possible, but
it doesn't sound unique to lshw and if there's a solution I imagine lshw
would like to have it.

> 6. lshw mixes things that are transient with things that are
> permanent. We can remove the timestamps with -notime. But, for
> example, it reports the kernel module currently assigned to a piece of
> hardware. This is probably relevant information, but we will have to
> carefully separate the data based on its lifespan.

I think we'll want the module information. I do agree we need to
think carefully about how to model the data.

Generally, I agree that lshw isn't perfect, but it seems like there's a
lot of value in it and we can help improve it where it makes sense.
Where it doesn't make sense, we can easily manipulate and supplement the
data client-side. Of course, my opinion may change dramatically once we
actually implement this :)

--
Jeremy Cline
XMPP: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxx