Re: [X86] x86 Architecture SIG

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 12:22:28PM -0500, Justin Forbes wrote:
On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 9:41 PM, Jeff Backus <jeff.backus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(Apologies - resending because I wasn't subscribed earlier)

Hi list,

I'm contacting you on behalf of the x86 SIG. Today FESCo approved our
request to continue to support Fedora on x86 hardware, provided that we do
our part to keep things running.

I encourage you to reach out to us when things do come up. You can find us
at x86@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or on #fedora-x86. We will likewise try to
be proactive in tracking down and triaging x86-related issues as well as
helping test and debug things.

One caveat that FESCo attached to our request is that if you, the kernel
team are cleared to treat i686 as any other secondary arch when you run
into build issues. That is, you are allowed to ExcludeArch i686 until these
issues are resolved. We ask that you block FE-ExcludeArch-x86 so that we
can track these issues.

Happy to do so.  There wasn't much need on the current issue because there
are other problems keeping us from getting a successful build just yet.
Yay, merge window. I really appreciate the SIG stepping forward and finding
the solution for i686 though in a timely manner.

Its our pleasure. All part of being part of a community! :)

Additionally, FESCo would like us to establish a minimum level of hardware
supported. We are working on this list and will follow up with you once we
have it completed. In the interim, we did want to address a couple of
concerns that were passed along by Stephen Smoogen:

* We have decided to drop support for PAE, so please feel free to disable
it on the next build
* We have decided to continue to support pre-SSE2 hardware for the time
being

Done, rawhide going forward will drop PAE. Current stable Fedora releases
will continue to build PAE as it wouldn't be wise to drop support on an
existing release.

Yes, waiting until the next release makes sense. Thanks!
jeff

--
Jeff Backus
jeff.backus@xxxxxxxxx