Re: Adding vboxguest and vboxsf drivers to Fedora kernel pkg

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:12 PM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been working on cleaning up the vboxguest drivers so that they
> can be added to the mainline kernel for:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/VirtualBox_Guest_Integration
>
> The vboxvideo driver is already upstream, atm it is in staging
> because it still needs to be ported to the new atomic-kms APIs
> but otherwise it is in very good state and not really of staging
> quality (I've already done a lot of cleanup reducing it from
> 52681 in its original form to 7275 lines in staging).
>
> Some people have expressed concerns about my plans to _temporarily_
> carry patches for the vboxguest integration in the Fedora kernel pkg.
>
> I can understand that you are reluctant to carry patches which
> need to be maintained for ever and ever, but that is not the case
> here.

There is no question that you can clean up the drivers in a way that the
code is sane.  My issue is that there have been numerous attempts to
upstream vbox over the years.  All unsuccessful. It isn't a lack of faith
in your abilities, but a question of how the larger community upstream
accepts these.

> So I'm hereby asking the Fedora kernel-team for permission to add
> these 2 drivers as patches to the Fedora kernel for a kernel-release
> or 2 while I finish pushing them upstream.

I would at least like to see the initial reaction the upstream posting
before agreeing to this. There is plenty of time before Fedora 27 ships.

Justin