Re: Adding out-of-tree wifi drivers to the Fedora kernel pkg

On 01/17/2017 05:19 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 17-01-17 14:12, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Lo! Three quick question from someone who for some strange reason is
>> interested in this topic:
>>
>> Hans de Goede wrote on 17.01.2017 13:11:
>>>
>>> As such I would like to (for starters) add this driver:
>>> https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs
>>>
>>> Which is fully open source and although not ready for
>>> upstream, actively maintained by the community, to the
>>> driver/staging directory of the Fedora kernel pkg.
>>
>> * wouldn't it make more sense to simply add the driver to the staging
>> directory upstream?
>
> See my answer to Bastien's mail.
>
>> * will users somehow made aware they are using drivers of lower quality
>> which are maintained differently (they for example might vanish suddenly
>> if maintainers lose interest, which normally doesn't happen with proper
>> kernel drivers)
>
> Other then the standard tainting caused by this being in staging, no.
>
>> * while at it: Is https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelStagingPolicy
>> still considered policy or is it a page everyone forgot about?
>
> I for one had never heard about that page.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

Yes, that page should still be accurate wrt to staging policy although
I think the list of drivers might need to be updated.

In general, I think upstreaming is the right approach to take and
if you are willing to go through staging, I think that could be
a good path to work to get the driver out of staging.

Thanks,
Laura