Re: secure boot and hibernation

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Yes.  Hibernation is not possible if SB is enabled.
>>
>> OK good. Googling, there's some idea of getting signed hibernation
>> images so that this could be reenabled? But those are old like
>> 2012/2013 era. Is there anything more recent about where this is? Or
>> maybe it requires some other work like the
>
> IIRC, the good people at Suse came up with a way to do signed
> hibernation images.  They might be carrying those patches in SLES or
> Opensuse.  Naturally, they won't be upstream because they depend on
> some of the other SB patches which we both carry in our kernels.

Got it.

> Hibernation has never exactly been a priority for us, so we haven't
> pursued it further.

It's a bit of a mess. I'm just trying to get a lay of the land, it's
information gathering mode. On the one hand this works reliably on
Windows and OS X (for very different reasons and implementations) so
I'd like to see it work here too, but at the moment my bias is to
relegate it to experts to wade the mine field. And that means in DE's
to hide all hibernation related GUI elements by default, and also by
default to poweroff in low battery situations. And hopefully there's
adequate messaging to apps when poweroff is called so states can be
saved by those apps.

--
Chris Murphy