Re: our chat in #fedora-kernel

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Corey Sheldon <sheldon.corey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Josh,

Adding the Fedora kernel list on CC.

> Been updating my  blog  with news of the respins Southern_Gentlemen
> (fas: jbwillia)  makes when new kernels make it to updates, like
> 4.4.2-301  did last night.
>

> Both for personal knowledge and per requests for a more 'snapshot'-ish
> changelog I  am looking to get a effective .diff changelog  since the
> last kernel.

"The last kernel" is kind of the weird part here.  For Fedora, that
can mean anything between simply another build of the existing major
version with a minor fix included, to a whole kernel version rebase.
We'll try and cover all the cases, but as usual the answer is never
the same or any particular kernel.

> As I understand the  work flow being:
>
> old  kernel foo has  features / fixes /etc
>

> new kernel bar
>
> since  last re-spin with kernel foo this  re-spin has updates from
> %date  and  the following fixes / patches which I presume would have ofc
> those in rpm -qp --changelog %bar.src.rpm.

Correct.

> However is there a place I could link to or  parse for a more  thorough
> %changelog ? without having to parse the entire creation spec file and /
> or hoping it has build version marked in the spec file?

The spec file doesn't have what you're looking for.  The changelog in
the spec file is the only place we log any kind of description and
it's kept intentionally terse.

Now, if you can determine the old and new versions then there are a
few things you can do.  I'll give some examples.

For things like kernel-4.3.6 -> 4.4.2, that would be a major version
rebase.  As Laura said in the channel yesterday, the kernelnewbies.org
site usually has a decent writeup of features and major fixes for each
major kernel version.  You can find the latest at the site Laura
linked to, or all their writeups at
http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxVersions.

For things like kernel-4.4.2-300 -> 4.4.2-301, the changelog is going
to have a list of the stuff that is specifically interesting to
Fedora.  That is simply a build of the existing upstream kernel, with
some changes we've added.

For a bump like 4.4.2 -> 4.4.3, there really isn't a good answer.
That is an upstream stable kernel release.  There are bugfixes all
over the kernel tree, sometimes numbering in the hundreds of commits.
There may be some bug numbers listed in the RPM changelog that an
upstream stable release fixes, and we'll note that in the RPM
changelog if so.  For the most part though, this is simply "more
fixes".

I hope that helps.  If you have any further questions, please let us know.

josh