Re: Tweaks to kernel core modules filtering

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
<johannbg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/15/2016 07:37 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> This is a small series of changes to the filtering of kernel modules from
>> core. Each patch is a mostly self contained subject like usb/drm/network
>> protocols. I split them out to separate patches just to make each one easier
>> to see the bits that were changing.
>>

> If I can recall correctly, one of the modular kernel packaging changes was
> that you could only have kernel-core installed so I have to ask wont this
> break running systems for users that are relying on things being in
> kernel-core since then?

Not exactly.  The work was done to reduce the size of the kernel
needed for cloud installations and it was extended to include the set
of modules needed to boot KVM guests.  There has never been the
guarantee that kernel-core alone would work on any particularly subset
of physical hardware.

> And since the kernel modular change was aimed to achieve the smallest as
> well as the most flexible footprint I have to ask is there something
> preventing putting every kernel module in it's own sub package (
> kernel-module-<module> )  to prevent ( potential ) breakage in the future as
> people go smaller and smaller which will eventually lead to what I have
> described here.

Time, and packaging pain is what is preventing it.  Also, the 80%
solution as it exists today is sufficient for everyone's needs at the
moment, so investing further to split everything up like that isn't
really worthwhile.  Particularly when you'd have to make related
changes in anaconda and other packages.

josh