Re: ntfs kernel module

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was wondering why only ntfs-3g method of mounting ntfs partitions is
> all that is supported?
>
> If the ntfs kernel module was build then it would be all that should
> be needed to boot from an ntfs partition.

We don't enable it because it isn't a robust driver and ntfs-3g
provides better support.  There may also be legal issues but if there
are I'm completely unaware of them.  It has been disabled in Fedora
for a very very long time.

> You could use the read only during the boot up procedure and remount
> it with ntfs-3g when booted.

Your question is kind of confusing.  Why would you have an ntfs
partition with the contents of a linux root filesystem on it?
Virtually all uses of ntfs I have seen are for a common data
partition, not an actual system partition.

Also, I don't think you can switch the underlying driver of the root
device out like that.  I'm also not sure if you can use a FUSE device
for the root mount point but if you can then you can just include
ntfs-3g in the initramfs and use that from the start anyway.

josh