Re: FYI failed boot with 3.18.0-0.rc1.git1.2

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 23:42:59 -0500,
 Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:04:26 -0500,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
This one is more likely due to something in the initrd than the kernel.
The boot got to where dbus was activated and then services started failing.
Again I was in a hurrry and just went back to 3.18.0-0.rc0.git9.5 and the system booted normally.

I suspect this is some interaction between systemd and some unusual configuration on a couple of my machines. I have at least one machine that boots rc2 and one that still has the problem with rc2 (and one I don't want to reboot right now, but was having the problem when I last checked).

I did a bit of testing and the problem does seem to be dependent on the kernel version as the version that worked previously kept working after I rebuilt the initramfs. The problem is still happening as of 3.18.0-0.rc2.git3.1.fc22.

The logs don't get written to disk for the failed boots even though they appear to get pretty far and I was hoping they would. So I need to go back and looking at things during the failed boot and see if I can find where things start going wrong. Given that other people aren't screaming about this, I suspect it is related to old hardware or maybe software raid.

I'm pretty busy this weekend so I may not make much progress, but we're still early in the 3.18 series so there isn't a rush yet.