Re: F21 version is now ahead of rawhide version

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 07:39:24 +0200,
 Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lo!

Bruno Wolff III wrote on 07.10.2014 05:07:
I don't think it is worth doing another build just for this, but if
there is another 3.17 build in rawhide, it would be nice to use a
release in the 400s so it stays ahead of the f21 version.

Why not move the %{?dist} to the front instead of having a numbers in
the 400s there, as sooner or later we'll get to 1000 and then it will
look even more ridiculous.

That doesn't happen, because as each new upstream release is done, the numbers are reset. The most you get is 4xx (when there is a rawhide, branched and two supported releases or rawhide and three supported releases).

I know, I might sound like a broken record, as I have suggested that
before. But last time it wasn't really discussed, as I was a bit late
and it was mostly shot down with something like "we made a decision, we
stick to that" (at least it felt like that to me and/or that's what I
remember from it).

I vaguely remember that conversation, but I am pretty sure it came up that we can reset the numbers with each kernel release, so that they don't keep increasing forever.