Re: Why does Red Hat and Fedora software not distinguish between AMD and Intel kernels?

Hi.
I understand.

Thanks,
James  Harrison

On Friday, 7 February 2014, 15:16, Justin M. Forbes <jforbes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 2014-02-07 at 14:21 +0000, James Harrison wrote:

> Hello,
> I remember the times when Redhat software releases (6.2, 7.3, 8, 9) had a specific kernel for AMD and Intel CPUs.
>
> Now forward on to present day and Red Hat software has one kernel build for AMD and Intel CPUs. When was the decision to switch to an all in one encompassing kernel and is there a performance hit. What allows us to have one kernel build for two different CPUs?
>
> The reason I ask these questions is that Ubuntu is still distinguishing between AMD and Intel CPUs. Why, and what is the difference between what they do and what Red Hat do to their Kernel compiles.
>

> Personally, I think that what Red Hat are doing makes maintaining kernels easier. There is a layer of abstraction that hides what the underlying technology is.
>

> Hope someone can spread some light.

There is no need to build separate kernels and Ubuntu doesn't either.
The x86_64 architecture was created with the AMD Opteron/Athlon64 CPUs
and was originally named AMD64. Intel later adopted it as well and went
through a couple of names for it before settling. Most people now call
the architecture x86_64 because it is the 64bit x86 instruction set.
Ubuntu still calls it amd64.  They build i386 kernels for 32bit, and
amd64 kernels for 64bit, and you would run the amd64 kernel on an Intel
64bit machine as well.

Justin