Re: RawhideKernelNodebug - Nosign

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 00:30:17 +0100
drago01 <drago01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 14:04:53 -0500
> > Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Yes.
> >>
> >> Also, rawhide kernels from koji aren't signed either.  Signing of
> >> RPMs is only done late in the release process, and for updates to
> >> a stable release.
> >
> > To clarify what Josh said:
> >
> > rawhide _rpms_ are not signed [...]
>
> Why?

There's no gating of pakages into rawhide composes.

We could sign all of them, and 1 minute before the compose a new one
could come along and go out unsigned. I like sleeping, so it's unlikely
I would want to stay up until right before compose anyhow.

There's a pretty massive amount of change, so signing would take a
while every day and could slow down signing for stable releases.

It would take up more storage to have signed copies of most rawhide
packages.

If a package went out unsigned and got signed the next day it could
cause yum weirdness. (checksum doesn't match)

I've thought about doing it anyhow, but then people will complain about
some random unsigned packages. We also would need to resign everything
at branch time anyhow.

(This is just off the top of my head, there may well be many other
reasons, ask Dennis).

kevin