Re: NX cannot be enabled: non-PAE kernel

Michael Zintakis wrote:
I have compiled a PAE kernel and installed it on my system (it *is* a PAE kernel, I am sure of it :-) ), but when I boot up I see the following message: "Notice: NX (Execute Disable) protection cannot be enabled: non-PAE kernel!"

I am certain I am using the right kernel and cannot explain why this error occurs. Could it be that the BIOS may have the NX-bit disabled (if so, how do I find out?) or is it something I am definitely doing wrong?
I found what is causing this.

I looked at config-i686-PAE and there was a comment related to CONFIG_I2O (I2O is not functioning in x86-32 PAE kernels) and I checked my .config file and there it was - activated, as I have a few I2O modules I use on my system. So, even though I selected the PAE-specific options (like MEM64G etc) and the end package produced was "kernel-PAE" the actual kernel was *not* PAE as CONFIG_I2O was silently deactivating all my PAE-related options.

Maybe this is a bug and I should at least had a warning and not banging my head against the wall for 2 days only to discover - by sheer chance - that I2O is incompatible with PAE and it is the reason I cannot produce PAE kernel even though my package was called "kernel-PAE"!

MZ