Re: NX emulation

Hi,

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:43:47AM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Yes, sorry, I'm trying to make a collection of stuff to get ready for
> > upstream.  I will switch to topic branches, good idea:
> > http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=kees/linux-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/nx-emu
>
> Not that I need to micromanage your branches for you, but that appears to
> be just a cutoff of the same "everything" branch, not a separate topic
> branch.  A topic branch has only the commits about this topic relative to
> the baseline, and the baseline should be some upstream tree state.  i.e.,
> "git log origin/master...kees/nx-emu" would show only these three patches.

Hmm, that was my intention.  I am new to using topic branches, so I'm
probably screwing something up here.  AFAICT, I do only have the 3 nx-emu
patches on top of current linux-2.6's master.  What do you see when you try
that git log?  (Note that I just rebased again against linux-2.6 today.)

> > The "x86: brk away from exec rand area" patch represents a fix to a real
> > problem, though, so at the very least, please review that one.  It's a
> > corner case only for PIE, but it does happen.  There might be a more
> > elegant solution, but my patch seems to do the job.
>
> Ok.  I think this should be reviewed in the normal upstream way, with x86
> maintainers CC'd, not just by us.

Sorry I wasn't clear about this one; it's a fix for a problem introduced
by the exec-shield ASLR.  Mainline does not suffer from this problem, which
is why I was hoping other folks here would want to look at it.

Well, mostly I wanted to collapse Ubuntu's 3 nx-emu patches into a single
patch, which is the same as what Fedora uses so we can all be on the same
page, hence the git branch, etc.

> Right.  I think all that stuff becomes much less confusing if we integrate
> the separate pieces one at a time.

I will add parameterizing the upstream ASLR to my TODO list, but I don't
think it'll get prioritized up to the top for a while.  If anyone else
pokes at this, please let me know and we can compare notes.

> > Other objections are that it isn't "perfect" (i.e. the bss areas of loaded
> > libraries end up being executable).  I personally don't mind this -- it's
> > better than nothing on hardware lacking the NX bit.
>
> Agreed.  It's also worthwhile to note that even on current hardware,
> you don't get NX in 32-bit kernels unless you use CONFIG_X86_PAE.

Right, exactly.  This was the reason I worked with HPA to clarify the
boot-time NX messages in upstream x86[1].  I wanted people to be able to see
their actual state of NX protection.

-Kees

[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=4b0f3b81eb33ef18283aa71440cccfede1753ae0

--