Change set acpi_enforce_resources default to strict ?

Hi Dave,

The ACPI subsystem has a kernelcmdline setting called acpi_enforce_resources which defaults to lax, I would like to propose to change this the default to strict in *rawhide*.

As you may (not) know I'm an active contributor to the lm_sensors project both to the userspace tools as to the kernel part (I've written and maintained numerous hwmon drivers, and yes feel free to assign any hwmon Fedora kernel bugs to me like you're doing with webcams :)

Anyways back to changing the acpi_enforce_resources default, this change effects only the following 3 functions:
acpi_check_resource_conflict()
acpi_check_region()
acpi_check_mem_region()

These 3 methods only get used by smbus controller drivers and superio hwmon drivers. Actually they were added on our (lm_sensors project) request. The problem these functions try to fix is that sometimes the ACPI (byte)code touches hwmon IC's for doing things like thermalmanagement while we are banging the same IO's from native drivers. This is not good!

So know all hwmon drivers which do direct IO (i2c drivers go through the smbus controller) call these functions to check if the ACPI tables claim the IO resources the smbus controller or superio hwmon driver touches. The idea here is that if ACPI claims the IO, the driver refuses to load. However this could be seen as a regression by users, as they were able to read their sensors using the native hwmon drivers before and now no longer will. Not loading however ofcourse is the safe and thus sane thing to do.

As not loading could be seen as a regression the acpi_enforce_resources default is lax, which only causes a warning when ACPI claims the same resources as the driver is using, changing this to strict will outright make the driver not load. We would like to probe the water with how hard this change will make people scream, hence I would like to make this change in rawhide (and yes you may redirect all blame to me).

So are you ok with giving this a try?

Regards,

Hans