Re: patch naming scheme.

Dave Jones wrote:
For a while, diffs in the Fedora kernel have followed the form

linux-2.6-*.patch

Then, we started seeing some git snapshots show up as

git-*.diff

and lately, everything seems to have gone bananas, with no
particular scheme at all..

nvidia-agp.patch, percpu_counter_sum_cleanup.patch, xfs-barrier-fix.patch
etc etc.

Maybe I'm being overly anal.  The linux-2.6- prefix is kind of pointless
(given that duh, they're all going to be against Linux 2.6), but it
does group things nicely in an ls output if nothing else.

So, what are peoples thoughts on this?

	Dave

If we'd prefix them with the source package name, in this case "kernel", it would make it a lot easier to find things in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES when we've got SRPMs from different packages installed. We should probably avoid using names that refer to a specific upstream version, because the name becomes misleading once we rebase. When there's a suitable upstream patch name, like the names Andrew Morton uses in -mm, we should probably use those (perhaps prepended with kernel-) to make it clear what it corresponds to upstream.

-- Chris