Re: macrofied kernel.spec

Axel Thimm wrote:
On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 04:34:43PM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
Damn, it'd be nice if koji could spread kernel variant builds of the
same arch across multiple builders...

That's not difficult to do - just have exactly one kernel built in the
specfile and pass the flavour on the rpmbuild command line in koji.

Same is already happening with the kmdl builds since quite some time:
Each one is an independent build entity, just copy the idioms from
there.

Of course koji needs to support several builds per src.rpm which it
already does in a way, and also to pass custom --define arguments to
the builds, but that's not difficult to embed in koji and would make
koji also the platform of choice for building kmdls (which is not an
argument for Fedora-internal consumption, but for wider spread use of
koji).

With the desire to spin kernel-vanilla rpms off the same source rpm as the current fedora kernels in a way that they aren't scratch builds, I've talked to release engineering about adding support for passing custom flags through the build system before.

Unfortunately, they're currently against adding said support, both because of the technical work that would have to be done, and because of some policy matters. If we let builds pass in random flags, the end result binaries might be different than a simple rpmbuild --rebuild would be, we're less sure what was actually built, people could do crazy things, etc., etc., etc. (paraphrasing rel-eng loosely there).

Despite that, I'd certainly still like the functionality added, even if its use were restricted to kernels (just what rel-eng wants, more exceptions for the kernel!). Heck, if we could get same-arch kernel variant builds going across multiple build hosts from a single 'make build' invocation, we could maybe even turn on building of a kernel-vanilla package by default without incurring a massive slowdown in 'make build' to 'all builds finished'...

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson@xxxxxxxxxx