Re: window sharing stopped working

On Tue, May 21, 2024, 2:17 AM Jan Grulich <jgrulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

út 21. 5. 2024 v 1:49 odesílatel Neal Becker <ndbecker2@xxxxxxxxx> napsal:

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 2:07 PM Jan Grulich <jgrulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

po 20. 5. 2024 v 19:55 odesílatel Neal Becker <ndbecker2@xxxxxxxxx> napsal:

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 1:24 PM Jan Grulich <jgrulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
po 20. 5. 2024 v 19:18 odesílatel Neal Becker <ndbecker2@xxxxxxxxx> napsal:

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 12:10 PM Jan Grulich <jgrulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Can you try Firefox, after you do following:
1) Go to "about:config"
2) Enable "widget.dmabuf.enabled"
3) Enable "widget.dmabuf.force-enabled"
4) Restart Firefox

Does it still work in Firefox? What GPU do you use?

Regards,
Jan

Thanks.  Only "widget.dmabuf.force-enabled" was not enabled.  After setting to True, I retested.  Sharing on firefox works fine.
Sharing on google-chrome-stable, google-chrome-beta, and brave-browser are not functional.
--

Can you try to get older Firefox 125 from Koji? We applied a related patch to Firefox 126 so it might be the one that makes it work for you in Firefox.

Jan

Trying firefox 125.  Sharing appears to be working (but I didn't play with widget.dmabuf.force-enabled, which is False).

Can you please try that? It's important to have the same setup as Chrome. Firefox does some driver checking and can disable dmabufs, which makes it
to use different buffers for screen sharing. Both Firefox and Chrome are 1:1 when it comes to screen sharing and this is the only thing that comes to my
mind that can make the difference.

I can confirm that on firefox 125 with widet.dmabuf.force-enabled=True I see the same problem.  When sharing the content flashes on/off as I move the mouse.
I checked again that with widget.dmabuf.force-enabled=False I do not see a problem.

That's what I expected.

This issue will be fixed in Chrome/Chromium 127, sadly it missed the branching by a day. I will try to request this to be fixed in M126.

Jan

Also, can you try to run Chrome in a terminal and see if there is anything reported?

Nothing interesting in the terminal window.

Thanks so much for your help!  Needless to say, being able to conduct remote meetings is a vital use case.
Neal