Re: F34 Change proposal: Wayland by Default for KDE Plasma Desktop (System-Wide Change)

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 5:55 AM Sérgio Basto <sergio@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-09-14 at 00:46 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Ben Cotton wrote:
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/WaylandByDefaultForPlasma
> > >
> Can we revert this decision, seems almost all the people have the same
> opinion ... that Plasma on Wayland is not ready for production.
> IMHO, try run it in wayland should be a optin .
>
> We have been aware of the wayland induced issues for a couple of years.
> The fedora kde/qt team are aware of the issues wayland causes and just
> blame the apps.

What's the best way to test KDE/Plasma on Wayland these days? I now
have a few PCs that I'd like to test on, all of which are currently
running F33. And ideally I can reliably see what life under Wayland
would feel like in F34 without having to run Rawhide or something like
that:

* Dual-monitor desktop with NVidia and proprietary drivers having been
upgraded through many Fedora releases over the years
* Single-monitor desktop with AMD RX 5600 XT and all OSS drivers and
is a fresh install
* Laptop (Dell XPS 13 from ~4 years ago) with Intel video

I'm then happy to compile a list of things that don't work (hopefully
the list is empty), and we can throw that into a table on the a wiki
somewhere with tracking bugs and workarounds (possibly such a page
already exists?) which will both help evaluate whether
Wayland-by-default will be a successful change, but also serve as a
starting point for any additional work that may be needed to make
Plasma-on-Wayland better.

(I did try the default Fedora/Gnome for a couple weeks on the
AMD-based system and gave up in frustration when a bunch of things
didn't work, especially CopyQ, my Clipboard Manager which is a
dealbreaker for me)

Thanks,

-Adam Batkin