Re: Blocking on user switching: redux

Il 18/04/20 15:40, Rex Dieter ha scritto:
> I think it's probably time to consider this release blocking, with caveat.   It's been known for quite awhile that lingering processes makes user switching under plasma problematic, so this problem needs to be solved first as a prerequisite.  One possible solution is
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/KillUserProcesses_by_default
> (but I don't insist on that particular fix, just that it is addressed somehow first).

One thing it's not clear to me: are we discussing about user switching
or logout/login?

As a user I would like to be able to switch from user A to user B and
when I switch back to user A I want to have all my documents and apps
running as before switching users. This KillUserProcesses_by_default
seems to me more like logging out user A and login as user B, so when
logging in again ad user A I will have a new, blank session.

Maybe I'm wrong (for sure...), but current user switching problem
doesn't seem related to killing processes to me. What I observed is this
behavior:

- login user A
- you get a Plasma session on VT1 (default)
- try to switch user
- login again as user A
- instead of logging in again to the already opened session on VT1, a
new Plasma session is created on VT2 (and it doesn't work)

SDDM should remember that user A is already logged in on VT1 and use the
existing session, instead of opening another one, but this doesn't happen.

Mattia