Re: Dolphin autostarting

> A thread on the Fedora Users list (see:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/MWVSQG3Z3RCY22QMQC2RPFPYX4PUHCNC/)
>
> mentioned an instance of Dolphin being started without the user
> configuring it as an Autostart item. I do use Autostart to fire up
> several Dolphin windows at login, but lately I've been noticing an
> extra one that I haven't asked for. A little research shows it
> apparently being started by systemd.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?
>
> poc

I just spent a good amount of time on this same issue.  For my session,
I use "a previously saved session".  I found suggestions to switch to
starting with an empty session a couple of times, then switching back to
a saved session.  Saving a session creates ~/.config/session so before
saving a session I deleted that to make sure there was nothing left over
there.  Originally I had noticed a dolphin related file in there.
Saving a session when I had no dolphin window displayed removed it.
However, upon logging off the session, one mysteriously appeared so the
next time I logged in a dolphin window appeared.

I also found dolphin mentioned in the file ~/.config/ksmserverrc.  I
tried renaming that (so I would not lose it), then I logged out and
logged in a few times and a new ksmserverrc was created.  That, in
combination with making sure there was no mention of dolphin in
~/.config/session and starting with an empty session for a bit and then
going back to a saved session seems to have kept the dolphin window from
showing up when I log in.  However, there is still a dolphin process
running no matter what I've tried.

ps -ef | grep dolphin
charlie     3324       1  0 Feb22 ?  00:00:03 /usr/bin/dolphin --daemon

(Now, if I could just get pulseaudio to stop resetting volume to 100%
after a logout/login, and yes I know about flat-volumes=no  and removing
~/.pulse so PA can create a new one, but that's a problem for a
different thread!)

Charles Dennett
30 year UNIX/Linux sys admin, retired!