Re: proposal: Default application functionality criterion reduction

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 5:48 AM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:45 PM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday I sent out a QA-related proposal that directly affects the release criteria for KDE x86_64 and Workstation x86_64 and (probably) aarch64 images. The proposal is attached below and also available in the test list (including some follow-ups which are recommended to read):
>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/QEYDNIJQYPXZTXDMSMLF2JQLLZMZMCTM/
>>
>> Can you please review that proposal and post your thoughts, if you have any? (Responding to test list is preferred, so that we can discuss it in a single place, but responding here is fine as well). Thank you.
>

> Anyone? Yes/No/We don't care?

Hi Kamil,
You know more about what QA has the resourced to test than I do, so
part of me feels I shouldn't be speaking up.  But since you asked,
twice, I will.
First off, thank you for testing all these, you help make Fedora a
great distribution to use.

I think cutting the criteria down for KDE and XFCE to just those
certain applications is good.
That would allow KDE to add or remove applications to our default
install, without being overly burdensome on the QA team.
It would also set a criteria, that we have to have certain things in
our release.

As for those extra applications that you are debating about:
I figure the word processor (libre-office) would have already been
checked when you check the Workstation desktop, so I don't feel it has
to be checked again.
The help application, I think should be checked.  I would hope that
would be something that is easy to check, and it's something most
people expect to be there.  I know my cat likes hitting my F1 key and
pulling up help.
video player, I'm not sure either way.  Although it's nice ... for me,
the first thing I do is install VLC. (Not just on my linux machines
either).  I sorta expect that whatever video player comes with the
Operating System, doesn't have all the codecs I want and that it will
be a pain to install them.  (Again, this isn't just a linux thing)

Please note, that I am not the KDE spin maintainer.  Just an end user
and packager.  If others feel differently, their opinion might have
more sway than mine.

Troy