Re: KDE EPEL8 plan

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 7:32 AM Troy Dawson <tdawson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 8:36 AM Troy Dawson <tdawson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 7:29 AM Troy Dawson <tdawson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm going to summarize.  Hopefully I get correctly what people have said.
> > > Feel free to continue to comment and suggest.
> > > At some point I'd like to put this on a EPEL KDE page for future guidance.
> > >
> > > * Follow the KDE LTS branches as much as possible.
> > > ** qt5
> > > *** RHEL's version of qt packages will dictate this.  If RHEL's
> > > versions change, adjust with them.
> > > *** RHEL 8 qt5 is 5.11.1
> > > **** There are about 10 packages that have to stay at 5.11 due to
> > > RHEL's packages.  The rest can get built with the current LTS, 5.12.x
> > > *** https://download.qt.io/official_releases/qt/5.12/
> > > ** plasma
> > > *** Follow the LTS stream that corresponds with our qt5
> > > *** The plasma LTS stream that corresponds with qt 5.12 is plasma 5.18
> > > **** plasma 5.18 will not be out until Feb. or March 2020.
> > > **** Keep with our current version until them, which is 5.15
> > > *** https://download.kde.org/stable/plasma/
> > > *** Update all plasma at one time, if possible
> > > ** framework (kf5)
> > > *** Use the stream that corresponds with our plasma
> > > *** When plasma 5.18 comes out, that will be kf5 5.66
> > > **** Keep with our current version until plasma is updated, which is 5.59
> > > *** https://download.kde.org/stable/frameworks/
> > > *** Update all kf5 at one time, if possible
> > > ** KDE apps
> > > *** Let the version be the decision of each app maintainer
> > >
> > > * For qt5, plasma and kf5, have a group be the maintainer.
> > > * For apps, it depends on the app.  Each app can be maintained by
> > > either a group or individual.
> > >
> > > *  module vs non-module
> > > ** The above plan will all be for non-module kde components.  This is
> > > what people get straight out of epel.
> > > ** There will be at least one kde module.
> > > *** Any epel kde modules will not be enabled by default.  These are
> > > only for people who want to test with a newer kde, or want to run the
> > > latest kde and don't mind breaking some compatibility.
> > > *** There will be a kde-rawhide module.
> > > **** The kde-rawhide module will track the fedora kde packages.
> > > **** The module will be updated once a month, building whatever is in
> > > Fedora rawhide at that time.
> > > *** There might be other kde modules, but none are currently planned.
> > >
> > > As I said, this plan is open to suggestions and comments, but here is
> > > my plan of getting things going.
> > > It's sorta logical that I be the person who at least starts things,
> > > even if we are going to maintain them as a group.
> > > If nobody has any objections, on Monday, Dec. 16,  I was planning on
> > > starting building kde in standard epel, following the above
> > > guidelines.
> > > I would build the qt5, plasma and k5 packages, and open bugzilla
> > > requests for all the rest.
> > > For most everything, I will just be pulling over what is in epel8-playground.
> [...]

I'm so sorry for not updating my progress on this.  I kept wanting to
having everything ready, but then there was always just this one
package that needed something.  And now it's been over a month since I
talked about the plan.  So, here is the progress.

kde-desktop
- All main packages done.
- One dependency package still in testing.[1] - karma would be appreciated

kde-media
- All done

kde-apps
- Everything built, in testing [2] - karma would be appreciated.

kde-office
- okular - Unless someone else already has, I'll be filing a bugzilla
today for this.
- Everything else ... if there is something in there you want, please
file a bugzilla.

kde-education
kde-software-development
kf5-software-development
- If there are packages in there you want, please file bugzilla's for them.

**** How to Install and/or Test
1 - ensure epel is installed, and enabled
2 - ensure codreadybuilder or PowerTools is enabled
3 - dnf --enablerepo=epel-testing group install kde-desktop
4 - (optional) dnf --enablerepo=epel-testing group install kde-media kde-apps

Note: There are some packages that show up as "No match", these
packages were not able to be built[3] due to missing rhel8 devel
packages.[4]
At some point this will get fixed, so I will leave them in the comps
file.  But there were also a few qt4 packages listed that I'll try to
remove from the comps file.

Thank you for your patience.
Troy

[1] - https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2020-e4b9339d23