Re: Software Updates widget

> On Sat, 2019-11-16 at 07:49 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> Multiple options:
>>> 1.  Refresh packagekit after using dnf, run:  pkcon refresh
>> FWIW, I only use the widget as a source of info that updates are available.
>> I use dnf to update.
>> I found that after the dnf update it is necessary to do "pkcon refresh force" to clear the indication.
> Which is frankly ridiculous. Presumably the widget exists for people
> who live entirely in a GUI rather than using dnf, yet the GUI doesn't
> provide a way of acting on the updates (unless you install some other
> tool, which you have to know about because the widget doesn't tell
> you).

On my system it does allow to call it to update.

I just don't happen to use it mainly out of habit for 2 reasons.

1.  I like to see the actions being taken, and not hidden in the widget.
2.  It used to be, but may have changed, that the actions taken weren't recorded in the dnf history.

> Furthermore, I for one have no knowledge of PackageKit. I don't know if
> I even need to have it installed, though it would appear not. I use dnf
> exclusively, so if it's not required, maybe KDE on Fedora shouldn't
> install this widget by default, or at least make it easier to turn it
> off from the GUI itself.
>
> Anyway, getting a bit OT so I'll leave it at that.

OK.  And also good to note that not everything thinks the same.

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.