Re: Fedora KDE modules

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 2:21 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Now that the Fedora's modularity project has gotten over it's major
>> bumps, I was wondering what the Fedora KDE community thought about
>> making KDE modules?
>> Do you think making a set of KDE modules make things easier for
>> maintaining KDE across multiple releases?
>
> I don't know enough about modules to make a fully-informed response, but...
> isn't one of the primary goals of modules to provide multiple
> streams/versions of packages?
>
> If so, I'm not sure that's something we'll ever want or need.
>
> -- Rex

I can be used for multiple versions.  And I'll be honest, I'm not sure
if that's really what is needed for KDE, other than maybe a "stable"
and "non-stable" version.

It can also be used for the same version across releases, to some
degree.  So if you created a kde-stable module, or kde5, or whatever
you have, you just have tell the module to rebuild on F28, or F29, or
F30.
So that module would be able to be the same across all releases.
That's more what I was thinking would be good for KDE ... maybe.
I'll be honest, I don't know how easy or hard it is to keep KDE up
across the various releases.  I'm a big KDE user, but haven't been a
maintainer for it, so I don't know the current painpoints.

Troy