Re: kwin / plasmashell not starting

On 29/03/17 03:41, Ian Malone wrote:
Has anyone else experienced this? Fairly frequently I find that kwin
on F25 is not starting on login, there are no window decorations (e.g.
title bar) and all new windows start at top left with no apparent way
to move them. The solution seems to be to start a console and run
"kstart kwin".
This morning however I didn't even have a desktop, just a cursor and
an otherwise black screen. What was working was that typing brought up
the command bar at the top of the screen, so I was able to start
konsole. "kstart kwin" and "kstart kwin --replace" didn't seem to
achieve anything (though maybe I could have waited longer), eventually
tried "kstart plasmashell" and things seemed to run again.

This is the nouveau driver. I've had problems on F25 with getting
stuck at the splash screen ("K") after login, but adding nomodeset to
the kernel line in grub seemed to alleviate that, and I was using
nomodeset this morning.

I will add to this today as well. Latest update and my computer was useless unless I killed the full session.

I didn't get anything by typing but I was in to much stress to even think about that. I will try that tomorrow as this is a work computer.

My problem seems to occur if the system has gone into sleep mode.

I set up a test account for testing a raw, clean account to see if it was related to an old configuration file that I have ran into in the past.

KDE is falling apart since going to plasma and F25 has been good most of the time until these black screens have started.

I won't be updating a few machines until I know that this isn't going to happen on a regular basis.

Note, this has happened on F24 in the past week as well.

Robin